Followers

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What's in a name?

So I was thinking the other night about how our pups got their names. Right now the girls have first and middle names while our little one only has a first name (though it is a two part name).

Baily Sue- Baily did not have a name when we got her from rescue. I originally wanted Bella but the DH didn't like it. For some reason the name Baily popped into my head and the DH decided on the spelling. Notice that there is no E :) we are very particular about that! Later that week we went to pick up our new sofa and I realized why that name was in my mind, we bought the sofa at Bailey's Furniture (yes we know the spelling difference)! I had started calling her Baily Roo because she bounced around like a kangaroo but our friends who watched her while we went out of town started calling her Baily Sue and it stuck.

Mesa Grace- Mesa came with her name from animal control. We thought about changing it but we loved the uniqueness and it seemed to suit her. After Mesa settled in we realized she was such a bulldozer and had no idea she wasn't a tiny dog. We started commenting on how "graceful" she was and she got her middle name.

Big Carl- So a couple weeks back we were watching TV and saw the add for the new "Big Carl Burger." The DH and I laughed and said it would be a great name for a small dog if we ever adopted one. 6 days later we met our little guy at the adoption event. He came with the name Cat (which we found out was short for Cat Von Dweezle) and have since learned that his name was Weasel at animal control. Eventually I am sure he will get a middle name :)

19 comments:

Shauna (Fido and Wino) said...

We named Mickey "Mickey" because my husband & I met in Holland & in Holland they use the term "Mickey Mouse" to say something is silly.

For Kayloo- the adoption society named her "Laloo" but I thought that was hard to say (read: difficult to yell in frustration). The woman who took her home for Christmas, did our home visit check & generally LOVED her was named "Kay" --? Lalloo + Kay = Kayloo :)

Two Pitties in the City said...

Thanks for sharing! The naming thing is huge and it's fun to hear the stories behind it. Mr. B came with his name, and it totally suits his big brawny self. Miss M. was originally named Jackie O. at the shelter. I thought she needed a name to match her face, like Gertrude, but we settled with a "rocker chick" name. Now she just answers to Monkey (I think her face looks like a gorilla), or to the sound of rustling food bags.

Bijou said...

It is always fun to hear how every buddy got their names. Baily and Mesa are perfect for you!

Waggles,
Bijou

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

What a great story!!

Smileys!
Dory

Infrequent Flyers said...

I love the names you picked! We didn't get to pick Cabana's name. She was named by Guide Dogs for the Blind, and because they have to name over 800 dogs a year without any duplications, they come up with some doozies. Cabana's name has grown on us, and it seems too late to change it--but I like Mesa and Baily's names much better!

Two French Bulldogs said...

Very cute..thank you for sharing the name game. Who knows why I am named Benson aka: Benny. Probably cuz I was a show dog. Lily, well mom liked the name and it sounded French. Oh brother....
Benny & Lily

Teddy Bear said...

What a cool story about how all your pups go their names.:)

Love,
Teddy Bear

Sam said...

I love hearing stories about how dogs get their names. Mesa Grace is my favorite, I think.. has a nice ring to it!

I wrote a post a while back about how we decided to keep Marge's name, and also about giving her a "full name" for shows.

Life With Dogs said...

It would take me six paragraphs to explain. I'm sure the general public think I went on drinking binges to choose names. :) But I can't claim any interesting back story...

Joe Stains said...

pawesome stories. I am Joe Brains Stains, because I have a huge brain and I know ALL that stuff. The stains well, that is self explanatory.

Tanner came from the pound as Tanner, so we just let it be since he barely knows THAT name, could you imagine teaching him another one?? BOL

havetailwillwag said...

i love hearing about how pets are named!! for my pack of fuzzies, sometimes the names just popped into my head and felt right, others got their names after much thought on my part. all the names also mutate over the years as nicknames get weirder and weirder..

i love the name 'mesa', its beautiful! and baily is so pretty.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We love learning how pups got their names - Baily, Mesa, and Big Carl seem to be the perfect names for yours.

Woos, Phantom and Thunder

Lorenza said...

Thanks for sharing the story about your names!
When my mom got me, in our way to home, she decided my name... Lorenza. Why? I don't know. Here in Mexico we call lorenza/o to people who are crazy...
Days later my mom was sure my name fits me perfectly! Hmmm...
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Thanks for sharing the name game with us!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Ruby's Raiser said...

Very cute post! We saw a pup named Kiva on the Puppy Bowl this past Sunday; first Kiva we've heard of since we named our pup 11 years ago! :)

*Alex* said...

I think Big Carl's middle name should be "Food Baby", for reasons we all know from Thanksgiving. :D
Joe disagrees and thinks you should give him a different middle name but I think "Food Baby" is just right ;)

Douglas the Dog said...

I like all of your names! Mommy and daddy named me after daddy's best friend Doug. I have to admit, I am the better looking Douglas K.

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

It sure is funny how all us cats and dogs get our names!
--JB

ocmist said...

We've always found it interesting to learn how everyone got their names. We did a whole blog on our names a few months ago, too! This is cool getting to know you all better. The Corgi Country Crew